Navy Bean Soup with Ham & Carrots
3 hr 30 min
Convert Ingredient Measure
Navy beans, dry
Celery, fresh, diced
Onion, white, fresh, chopped
Salt, table, iodized
Carrots, fresh, sliced
Ham, roasted, lean, diced
247.00 g / 8.82 oz per serving.
**3 cups of water for each 1 cup of beans
Day Prior to Service
1. Wash & rinse beans - cover with water.
2. Soak overnight.
Day of Service
1. Drain water of beans.
2. Add fresh water in the amount called for in recipe - bring to a boil.
3. Simmer, covered, for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until beans are soft.
4. After beans are soft, add vegetables, seasonings, & ham.
5. Continue to simmer, covered, for 1 hour (or bake in 300°F oven).
6. Keep hot in 200°F oven until ready to serve.
Food Handling :
- Wash hands immediately before engaging in food preparation and again
after engaging in any activities that contaminate the hands.
- Single gloves should be used for only one task and then discarded.
- Cook to an internal temperature of 165 F for 15 seconds.
- Hold for hot service at an internal temperature of 135 F or higher.